Daily Archives: March 5, 2009

Employee Tip: Requesting Your Personnel File (Employee Records) from Your Wisconsin Employer

Wisconsin law requires that an employer provide an employee, upon his or her request, with a copy of the employee’s file, also called a “personnel file.”  A Wisconsin employer must provide the personnel file to current and former employees upon their request.

This post describes how a Wisconsin employee can go about requesting his or her personnel file.

Please note (1) this post is not referring to any State’s requirements other than Wisconsin’s: many states outside Wisconsin have their own particular personnel file requirements; and (2) this post does not provide legal advice- if you want legal advice, you should contact an attorney and discuss your specific circumstances. If you are interested in legal assistance from attorney-author Michael Brown for your Wisconsin unemployment matter, you can contact Mr. Brown and his law firm DVG Law Partner here:

Continue reading


Leave a comment

Filed under Employee Tip - Considering a Legal Action, Employee Tip - Problems at Job